Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Weekly Hobby Update : 1-17-18

Hey Everyone!  The snow and the cold are still very prevalent in my part of the world creating a very cold hobby area for me, but there are projects to complete.  Thankfully I was able to gain respite outside of my basement to watch The Grand Tournament Heat 1 for Age of Sigmar this past weekend.  A nice cup of coffee and a day of streamed games while my hobby area warmed up is the best kind of weekend to have when there are ice and snow covering the outside like a Beastclaw Raider invasion.



When my Hobby space finally warmed up and I was able to move to my basement I finally got to begin using a wonderful gift I received a few months ago.  Many people will cringe, but I never used a wet palette before as I I would just thin the paints on some Citadel Palette Pad if not just pulling from the paint pots themselves.  I am always working to improve my hobby and go outside my comfort zone and forcing myself to finally begin using this tool fit both those categories for me and I have come to discover how much I enjoy this tool and cannot understand why I took so long to begin using one.  I highly suggest picking one up to make your hobby life easier.


My Adepticon Army is coming along nicely as well as I managed to complete a lot of the color blocking on my four units of Witch Aelves.  They currently have Hair Color, some of the armor, and squad markings all done and I plan to finish up the leather and metal armor by the end of this week.  I am very happy to be so far along with this project as I am.  I expected to be struggling to paint so many models, but I have been able to get back into the groove of "assembly line army painting".  It feels like a form of meditation when I am knocking out model after model doing the same part over and over again.


It is not just Daughters of Khaine filling my Hobby time as I have rebased a few more Aelves to round bases as well as managing to prime and base my Slaves to Darkness for the Malign Portents Painting Competition coming up on February 10th as well as working toward my #Hobby500.  They have announced the awards for the event at official local Warhammer and Games Workshop locations and while they are not anything much I am enjoying how my local community has gathered around participating as an excuse to jump fully into whats to come and start new armies.  The community gathering should be great at my local Warhammer store and to me, that is the best part of events such as these.  Having fun talking about Warhammer is what I look forward to the most, but that doesn't mean I won't put forth my effort to win out against my community.


In an unexpected turn of events, one of my local game stores has seen more and more players take interest in Age of Sigmar and willing to lay down their bolters for a while and battle it out in The Mortal Realms.  The best part is that a local player has organized it which means I can play and fight it out to try and win as opposed to when I run events and I do not count myself for any placing despite games I play.  The league is a bit of a learning league and as such we are playing at 1000pts which is a great way for me to test my half of my Age of Sigmar Adepticon Team Event list that I will be bringing to battle alongside Michael and his mighty Skavenm Horde!



I hope you are having a Hobby filled week and are staying warm if you are in the area of the Everwinter.  If you are participating in the Malign Portantins Painting Competiiton let me know in the comments so I can check out how your Start Collecting Box is coming along!  Until Friday, Happy Hobbying!

- Chuck Moore